Thursday, September 16, 2010

Oklahoma State University....A Family Tradition



Mike and I had parents who came to OSU. My dad was here in the 1940's before he went to WWII. Jack, my dad, graduated from high school when he was 16 years old. He came to OSU to school. My mom and dad both graduated from high school in 1940. Mom was 15 months older than dad. She went to Cameron and then on to a Business school in OKC. They were married in Lawton, OK on August 16, 1941. They lived in Stillwater while Dad went to school. Dad went back to the farm first and then was drafted into the Navy. Mervin was born in 1944 and Dad was sent to San Diego, CA for training. When he got out of the Navy after the war there were no places to live in Stillwater, so he did not ever get to go back and finish at OSU. He was busy farming and ranching on the Grandview Shorthorn Ranch between Oney and Fort Cobb.

Pat, Mike's Dad, went to OSU too. He was there in the 1950's. Mike is the oldest in his family and I was the youngest in my family so my parents were closer to his grandparents age than his parents. Mike and Butch were both born while Pat was in school at OSU. Pat graduated with a degree in Dairy Science.

My two brothers got their degree from OSU. Merv in Animal Science and David in Human Physiology. David went on the get his dental degree from Creighton. Mike has one brother Butch who is younger than him that got his degree in Ag Econ from OSU. Matt went to OSU Okmulgee in diesel mechanics in 1979 and graduated in 1981.

Mike and I both went to OSU. I got my degree in Family Relations Child Development in 1976. Mike did not finish his degree. He decided to go to OSU Okmulgee to become a carpenter. Well, to make a long story short we decided to come back to Caddo County and farm. The McComas/Deason/Rogers families are deep rooted in Oklahoma State University. Mike and I counted Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins one time who have attended school at OSU and we came up with around 70 family members who went to school there. 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say that we have two daughters who have their degree from OSU. Krista and Amanda both have their degree in Sociology and Wes, Krista's husband also graduated from OSU. We also have 3 nieces and nephews who have OSU degrees.

I taught school for about 35 years. Students would walk into my room to find OSU posters all over the walls. Then they would ask why I was an OSU fan. I would explain that is where I went to school, and that is where all of my family had gone to school so of course we are OSU fans. So when people say, why aren't you OU fans, and I explain to them our family tradition and they still want to know Why? I just give up. Here's your sign. I am an OU fan for the most part as long as they are not playing OSU, but I have had a few people in my life that have made that hard to do. I try to be positive. I try to just cheer for my team and not put any other teams down. It is just more fun to be where everyone is for your team. In all the years I have been going to football games, I have only been to 1 away game. It was at Mississippi State. There were 40,000 cowbells ringing for the bulldogs. I hated it. Like I say, I just like going to the games where the crowd is mainly OSU. 

There are many things about OSU that we love. The kids love Pistol Pete. All kids do. One time when Ryan was young we were sitting on the front row on the North side at a game and Pistol Pete came got Ryan and lifted him over the wall and took him down on the field with him. Now we also have Bullet and our grands can not wait for Bullet to come out on the field. They love singing the songs and watching the band. They love to go to the walk two hours before the game, to listen to the band and see Pistol Pete.

The McComas family loves wrestling and we very seldom miss a wrestling match at OSU either. Now I have been known to go to away wrestling matches. OSU has such a wonderful history and tradition in wrestling. They are the winning-est university in the nation. Krista still lives in Stillwater and works for the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. Ryan would have loved to wrestle for OSU, but was proud to wrestle for USMC, West Point, and serve his country. He loved his Cowboys though and stayed loyal to them, even in NY.
These three love coming to the games with us.  We get there early so they can see everything.
Amara is walking around like she owns the place. LOL
Amara is having a great time jumping.


The North side of the stadium has a Fun Zone.  The boys were interested in throwing the football and Amara was interested in the jump.  Here they are just looking around trying to decide what to do next.

Mike with Amara and Dominic ready to go to the first game.  Two, two year olds is fun.  They love going with us to the games though.  Mike and I have been going to the games since 1973 when we were both students.  We have had season tickets off and on since we moved from OSU.  Sometimes we just didn't have the money or the time to come.  We did the family fun zone for years.  We have had these four tickets for about 15 years now.  We love our seats and the people who we sit with.  Hope these kids love it as much as we do.. I think they do.

2 comments:

  1. i had no idea how much of your family went to osu! i also can't believe that you are willing to take two two year olds to a football game! i can't imagine taking even one!!!! we are still hoping to make it to a game sometime soon. we haven't even been in the new stadium yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really knew how many family members went there until I read this...I only knew of mom, grandpa, grandma, Larry, Karen, you, Krista, & Amanda went there...I never knew Mike, Merv, & David went there & I was never told that Aunt May, & your dad went there...thanks for letting me read this cause I have a much deeper appreciation now for the programs O State has to offer & how they helped our families...I'll always be a diehard Sooners fan but I'll give credit to O State for being a great college

    ReplyDelete