Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bop the best Grandfather I know!


     I love my grandchildren more than anything else.  Yes, I think Mike knows this. LOL  I also have figured out that loving my family and putting their welfare first is what God wants and it is one way that I serve him.  I never could figure out how you put God infront of family.  It is God's plan for you to take care of your family and by doing so you are putting God first.  Of course this is just one way to serve God and glorify him, but it is ONE way.  That being said, Mike and I try to do all we can to spend time with our Grandchildren.  Mike has given up most of his other vices to be the best "Bop" I know.  When he could be out fishing, flying or playing golf, he is with his Grands.  Mike has days off in the middle of the week and sometimes works weekends.  He has used this time for the last 5 years to go see his grands.  He has been known to  drive 2 hours to see Dominic.  They go to the park, go to OSU to the dairy barn, or just play with his toys at home, but he makes sure he spends time with each one.  He did all of these things with JJ before he started to school.
     Now he has not done as well with Amara.  He asked me one day, "What do you do with a girl.?" I told him she would like to do the same things as the boys.  He is getting better with her and now that I am reatired we will be able to go together to see Dominic and also to go spend time with Amara by herself too.  She is older and he does better after they are at least 2.  Amara was 2 in July.  Amara used to look for me when we came to her house, but now she too has started to ask for Bop, just like the boys.
     Mike was so very busy while we were raising our own children and also working shift work that he did not get to do as much with them as he would have liked.  There were times when he was working 2 jobs plus trying to run a farm/ranch.  He did more than he thinks but not as much as he thinks he should.  Things are different with these Grands.  He has soooo much more patients with them. 
     I think God intended for grandparents be there for their grandchildren.  Parents have so many things to do and think about while they are raising their children.  I know that my mom was a huge help for us.  She tried her best to keep us grounded while we raised our kids.  She was really the only grandparent my kids had.  My dad died when Ryan was 3 months old, Mike's mom got sick when Krista was 3 months old, Mike's dad died when the kids were all still young, so I think my mom felt that she needed to be their for our kids.  She was great at it.  Amanda being the baby of all of her grandchildren may have gotten the most attention.  The kids stayed with Mom 1 at a time.  She kept all three one time and when we got back, she told me that she would still keep our kids, but 1 at a time. LOL  When you have 3 kids anywhere there is always an odd man out.  Of course it was always Ryan and one of the girls.  He was never odd man out.  Both girls thought he hung the moon.
     Bop, as JJ named Mike, decided when JJ was born that all the other things that he had done were not as important as spending time with his grandchildren.  I can tell you he has changed more diapers on these grands than he ever even thought about with his own children.  I am just glad he figured out how to do it.  If you have someone who needs help learning how to be a good Grandfather, send them to follow Mike around for a day.  His grands are spoiled, but he has not gotten so soft that he forgot how to correct a child when they need it.  Oh yes, I almost forgot, Mike has read more kids books in the past 5 years than anyone I know.  All three of our grands love books.  "Bop read to me", is heard over and over every day.  Who would have thought Mike would read Goodnight Moon until he had it almost memorized.  That is a fovorite of all three. 
     I just have to say it again.  If they give out an award for the best grandfather...Mike should win!


1 comment:

  1. That was really a good article Jackie, kuddos to you and Mike both for being wonderful parents and grandparents.

    ReplyDelete